Thursday, December 1, 2011

Stress+Cravings= Sugar Cookies

When I am stressed, I eat. Not only do I eat, but I have cravings. Since starting grad school, I have used these cravings and turned them into opportunities to procrastinate writing papers. It seems to be working. 
Needless to say, I was stressed with going back and forth between two papers, and I wanted a way out.  

I wanted to eat. I wanted to eat sugar. I wanted to eat cookies. I wanted to eat sugar cookies. I had all almost all ingredients. I was missing eggs. What's a girl to do? Improvise. 

I made sugar cookies without eggs

Here's how: 

Instructions

Things You'll Need

  • Oven
  • Cookie sheets
  • Parchment paper
  • Mixing bowl
  • Measuring cup
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup shortening or butter
  • Electric mixer
  • 1 cup milk
  • Measuring spoons
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Spatula
  • Cooling rack
    • 1
      Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
    • 2
      Line cookie sheets with parchment paper for an easy clean-up.
    • 3
      Put 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of solid shortening or butter into a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
    • 4
      Pour 1 cup milk into a measuring cup. Add 1 1/2 tbsp. of lemon juice. This is called "soured milk" and is a common substitute for buttermilk. Add the soured milk to the mixing bowl.
    • 5
      Add 2 cups flour and combine well.
    • 6
      Place 1 tsp. each of salt, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla to the sugar cookie dough mixture.
    • 7
      Mix the dough well until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
    • 8
      Use a teaspoon to measure out the sugar cookies. Roll into balls with your hands and place on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle additional sugar on top of each cookie if you wish.
    • 9
      Bake cookies for about eight minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden brown. Remove from the cookie sheets with a spatula and cool on a wire cooling rack.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...