Monday, November 14, 2011

{Homemade Winter Meal}

I found this recipe from the WholeFoods website, seen HERE. I made some changes to it, so here's my version. 

Winter Squash Stew 


Ingredients

2 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 TBS minced garlic
1 cup apple cider
1 quart vegetable broth
4 cups chopped kale or other dark, leafy greens(tough ribs removed)
1 Zucchini, sliced and halved
2 cups cooked white beans, drained
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks


Directions

Tie parsley, thyme and bay leaves together with a piece of kitchen twine and set herb bundle aside.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and herb bundle and cook until onions are just softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini, continue to cook until onions are translucent, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add cider (this is the best part, it add a special flavor) and broth and bring to a boil, then add kale, beans, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. 


                           
 


Add squash and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes more. I love how the squash adds a little fall color. YUM!

Discard herb bundle, ladle stew into bowls and serve! 




_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_





Quick Dinner Rolls

I wanted some carbohydrate with this soup, but I didn't want to go to the store. So I googled 'easy dinner rolls' and this is what popped up. Only 3 ingredients! I actually didn't have the mayonnaise, but I did have Vegenaise. If you like Mayo and havent tried Vegenaise - I highly recommend it. So much healthier! 



Ingredients



  • 1 cup self-rising flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic (I added this ingredient because the reviews said they may be a little bland) 

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If you are not using a nonstick muffin pan, grease 5 cups of a regular muffin pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, milk, mayonnaise and garlic. Spoon into the 5 prepared muffin cups.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until nicely puffed and browned.

I am actually impressed with myself! It was delicious! Even the Boy rates it 4 Stars, meaning he wouldn't mind if I made it again. Yum! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...