Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Body Art

I got my first tattoo when I turned 18.  It was not an act of rebellion, oh no. My parents were with me…and  believe it or not, my mom has more tattoos than I do. I have four now, and each one has it's own significance. I guess it should be that way; they are permanent. 

Tattoo #1: 
Where- between shoulder blades
What- A fairy sitting on a stargazer lily
Meaning: As I said, I was 18 when I got this one. It meant freedom. Not the "being 18" form of freedom, but the freedom to be yourself, freedom to be fun, and freedom to live.



Tattoo #2: 
Where- Back of the neck
What- Celtic Symbol - Land, Sea, and Sky
Meaning: I grew up on the Oregon Coast. Sitting on the ocean side was apart of my life. My favorite moments involve me sitting on the shore, toes in the sand, hearing the sound of the waves and watching the sunset.


Tattoo #3:
Where- Inner right ankle
What- Celtic Symbol - 3 Separate Female Figures
Meaning- My mother and I have this tattoo. It symbolizes my mother, myself and the relationship we have together.


Tattoo #4: 

Where-Left arm (shoulder)
What- Tree (of life)
Meaning- The coloring of this tattoo shows that it's Fall - the season of change. I am forever evolving, forever changing, but I always have my roots. 



I'm not done yet; I want more. Ask anyone who has ink, they are a bit addicting. I dream of a 1/4 sleeve, but I am waiting for the perfect moment. Meaning, I want to know what I am going to be doing for the rest of my life… gotta be professional I suppose. 

A tattoo is a true poetic creation, and is always more than meets the eye.  As a tattoo is grounded on living skin, so its essence emotes a poignancy unique to the mortal human condition.  ~V. Vale and Andrea Juno, Modern Primitives

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...