Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Home Sick




This is the world we live in 
Water we pass without a glance
Locals don't look twice
The tourists get out and dance

This is the world we live in
The rusting of our cars
Sand that ends up everywhere
Those midnight coastal stars

This is the world we live in
The beachcombers up at dawn
Creatures fill the tide pools 
Just listen to the ocean's song 
(Me, 2005)



It's almost been a year since I have been home. My favorite place to be: in the presence of the land, sea and sky. My feet in the sand, listening to the ocean and watching the sun dip into the horizon. My heart aches for the ocean. My ocean. My spot. The spot that was always there when I needed it to be. The spot where bonfires would gather crowds,the spot to skip class or have lunch. The spot that warmed my soul that July night, made me laugh that April morning…that spot where I cried over a broken heart. 


The ocean has been my one constant. The one thing I could always depend on. When my life gets crazy… I need the smell of salt to ease my mind. I knew how lucky I was when I would pass by it every day - but I didn't know how much I depended on it. Us kids who grew up together - we are somehow united by the ocean…. coastal soldiers. It's an odd thing we share; we all need the ocean.


I'll be visiting home next month. I'll be there for about 24 hours. Though it's not nearly enough time - it's everything I want right now. Home. Through all the chaos in the world, the ocean keeps me grounded. Sitting on a piece of driftwood, memorized by the rolling waves… re-energizes me. 
















Smelling the salt air
Hearing the crashing of waves
Needing to be home

2 comments:

Karylin said...

I like that. Coastal Soldiers. Indeed we are. And I wouldn't change that for anything.

Alyssa said...

Mmmm the perfect picture. It is amazing what the push and pull of an ocean can do to returning locals.

I hope you enjoy your visit, get to spend time at your spot (we all have that one place) and maybe just maybe get to bump into an old friend ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...