Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Shift In Thinking

There will always be complaints throughout the day. The traffic was horrible. The neighbors are loud. That bill is how much? I'm hungry. Sometimes it's hard to focus on the good. Sometimes the perceived problems are easier to identify than the joyfull blessings.

In just my few weeks at my new internship, I can feel myself drastically changing my thought process.



I am thankful for:


The warmth and safety of my home
My friends and family
Showers
Clean clothes
My employment
My education
My health insurance
My mental health
The fact that I am hungry, and  I have food in my kitchen to nourish me.

I spend my days surrounded by men and women who carry all of their belongings with them ...wherever they go. They must be at the shelter by 5:30 PM or else they are sleeping on the streets, in parks or under bridges. If they get to the shelter in time, they sleep in bunk beds without any sheets or pillows. Showers are safety concerns. Food is only promised twice a day, and there isn't always enough. Money consists of coins that are thrown from strangers on the street.

The list of woes at the end of each day has grown short. When I see people everyday who appreciate what they have, I can't help but feel guilty for being so engrossed in my own perceived issues.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...