Tuesday, September 20, 2011

DADT Repeal

Today, President Obama ended the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. This policy has been in place for 18 years and has forced 14, 500 members of the U.S. Military to be discharged because they were thought to be gay, lesbian or bi-sexual. To say that someone cannot express who they really are for fear of losing their job would be unconstitutional, so why has it been okay for our Congress and Military to uphold such a policy? Today, the United States has made another step towards equity for all.  All I have to say is: It's about fucking time.

In recent months I have spoken to my Father and Step-Mother regarding this policy, both having served in the Army for over 20 years. To my surprise and disappointment, they were in full support of such a policy. I believe my Father's exact words were, "Gays don't belong in the Military. We don't need them." Hearing my father say that broke my heart. How could I have such a hateful father? He explained that having gay people in the Military would only cause problems. He continued on to say the most ignorant statement of them all: "I wouldn't want a gay guy in my bunk." Calm yourself Pops, I don't think a gay guy would want you either. 

The other piece to this heartbreak is something that I have never told my Father (and by continuing on, I am risking the chance that my father or step-mother read my blog): Dad, I'm Bi-sexual. Meaning, I like girls too. 

I am currently in a relationship with a boy. However, I have always been attracted to girls. Not only am I attracted to girls, but I have even been in relationships with girls. Over the past few years I have struggled to grip this "identity" because of the repercussions of "coming out".  I could go deeper into this, but my "coming out" story isn't the point. My point is: if I were in the Military, I would not have been able to be openly express who I am, or who I love. Everyday I would be fearful of being "found out" and without any just cause, discharged. How would you feel about that, Dad? Your own daughter? Would you feel any different? 

Regardless… thousands of lives have been changed today. Thousands of pounds of weight have been lifted off the shoulders of men and women serving our country. Imagine. These men and women, like my father and step-mother (who live so peacefully in their heterosexual relationship) can take in their own breath of freedom.

The irony in it all? To some, the scariest thing isn't grabbing a rifle and stepping into battle. The scariest thought might be opening up to their family, friends and colleagues. The repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" has given the courage and the civil right to do so.

It's about fucking time.







He's been posting YouTube videos for 5 months talking about his coming out experience in the military... but he finally shows his face yesterday and comes out to his Dad live, after news that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" officially ended. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...