Thursday, June 28, 2012

If you listened to my heart, you would hear the ocean...

The ocean is on my mind. Next week we'll be leaving the city, and making a (oh so) brief visit to the Pacific - the ocean that raised me. Lately, nothing seems more important.


Gonna cruise out of this city
Head down to the sea
Gonna shout out at the ocean
Hey it’s me!
-ML





And other words on the sea...

Walt WhitmanYou sea! I resign myself to you also — I guess what you mean / I behold from the beach your crooked inviting fingers…

Henry David Thoreau
Creeping along the endless beach amid the sun-squall and the foam, it occurs to us that we, too, are the product of sea-slime.

Lord Byron
Roll on, thou deep and dark blue Ocean — roll!

John Keats
Oh ye! who have your eyeballs vexed and tired / feast them upon the wideness of the sea.

Richard Hugo
The Ocean has the last word on
possession.


William Stafford
That instant, that clear space, that bright room inside a wave

Led Zeppelin
Singing to an ocean, I can hear the ocean’s roar. Play for free, play for me and play a whole lot more!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
That I am weary of words and people / sick of the city, wanting the sea.

Rachel Carson
There is no drop of water in the ocean, not even in the deepest parts of the abyss, that does not know and respond to the mysterious forces that create the tide.

D.H. Lawrence
I am the sea, I am the sea

E.B. White
The sea answers all questions, and always in the same way.

Richard Hugo
On this dishonored, this perverted globe / we go back to the sea and the sea opens for us.

Neil Young
The ocean, the drug that makes you dream.

Jim Harrison
I sat on numerous beaches and stared at the ocean until it was an ocean inside my head. The experience was a world away from the American idea of God as someone who drove around in a dump truck full of figurative candy to toss to deserving people if you beckoned him properly. The ocean was a god unknown, galactic, and in her own quiet way maybe enjoyed the moon as much as we did, what with the way the ocean gets pushed around by the moon and her tidal energies.

Steve Miller
Jungle love in the surf and the pouring rain, everything’s better when wet.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...