Monday, February 25, 2013

Embracing Change


Change is a funny thing. While most of us would like to think of ourselves as flexible, adaptable beings, the reality is that the mere thought of change makes the best of us want to run and hide. Most people are creatures of habit and slight changes to our regular routines can turn us into stressed out, crabby people.

I had somewhat of a panic attack a few nights ago. I will be graduating in a few months, and I am beginning to look at job openings... editing my resume... possibly interviewing...
While lying in bed thinking about my next steps in life I was hit with the weight of doubt.

Am I ready for all of this?”

After some reflection and tears of panic, I came to the following conclusion: I can be.

I reminded myself that I have got through this kind of change before. About four years ago (has it been that long?) I graduated from undergrad, applied, interviewed and landed a great job. I moved to a new state, a new city... adapted and survived.

Though there are some clear differences, my coping skills are the same... so here ya have it… how to: 

EmbraceChange

Instead of facing change with fear and dread, I have to remind myself that a stagnant life is a boring one. Trying to resist and work against any impending change is as tiring as swimming against the tide. I have to allow myself to ‘go with the flow’ and view change in a positive light.
I mean, c’mon... I've wanted this! 
Address and acknowledge your feelings
Though obtaining my degree and landing a new job is my goal, I can't push aside or ignore my feelings. Lying in bed and fully feeling every ounce of doubt, fear, and stress was a good thing. I asked myself what exactly is frightening about the change...
 Well...One of the things I realized is I am afraid of failing. I have worked so hard and for so long at being a student that taking on my first, real, professional social work role is scary. I also acknowledge that I have been spoiled at my current job. I love my coworkers, the work we do and the overall dynamic of the office. I fear I won't find that anywhere else...
Set realistic expectations
People are often too hard on themselves. I know I am really hard on myself. I hold myself up this expectation that I can continue on—business as usual—regardless of the major change that is happening. I need to allow myself some breathing room. I need to have the awareness that things will get weird, and a new “normal” will emerge.
Reach out for support
When I am stressed, I have a tendency to isolate myself. The truth is I don't want to burden people with my worry. However, I was recently reminded by my bestie that I don’t have to take on everything alone; thanks for that. Sometimes I forget that the people who are close to me sincerely want to hear what’s going on and offer me support. So, through this weird and uncomfortable stage of life... I am making it more of a priority to talk with my friends, family and especially my cohort. They are going through similar changes, after all.
Staying the moment (zealously)
With change just around the corner, I am starting to appreciate little things in my life that are often overlooked. When I start to think too far into the future I can quickly be overwhelmed. One day at a time. I can't let the planning of the future prevent me from experiencing the present.
Change is tough and I am struggling a little, but when I push aside the anxiety I am truly looking forward to what might happen. I just have take off my control-freak hat and trust the process.
 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...