Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tibetan Singing Bowl




Before each morning meeting at my internship, we take a brief moment to center ourselves using a Tibetan Singing Bowl. A strike of the bowl creates harmonic overtones that naturally evoke a deep feeling of relaxation.  For an office that often manages crisis and conflict, the purpose is to begin each day by taking a moment to focus on the present.
After 6 months of these meetings, I wanted to purchase one for myself. Call it Pavlov’s Dog, or what have you… the single strike of the bowl gives me immediate awareness of my breath, my thoughts, purpose for the day, and gives me overall mindfulness.  
My life has been a bit hectic (to put it lightly) and I’ve started using my bowl to end my day as well. Often times I lie in bed at night and recount all that happened throughout the day, what I didn’t get done, and what I need to do the next day; this ritual is of course counterproductive to sleep, and creates more stress, thus contributing to countless nights of insomnia. To me, hearing the sound of the strike is a signifier that another day has ended. I close my eyes and think of all the tasks I completed, the people I spoke to, the emotions I felt…. I take a deep breath in, and I ….. Exhale. That release of breath is an acceptance of my day. The day is over. Nothing more I can do. That breath is peace.
In a world full of stressors and pressures, self-care is an essential part of maintaining balance and energy. Can you tell I am a social worker?  I have friends that do yoga, lift weights, or just veg out with some bad* television. How do you handle stress? What helps you stay focused and productive?

*The Kardashians, Housewives of what-have-you, Honey What’s her ****

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...