Monday, May 23, 2011

My Ode to Sharing the Road

About a year ago I bought a bike. Not just any kind of bike, oh no. A road bike, you know… for cycling. Apparently it's a pretty big deal. The last bike I owned had streamers on the handles and a bell. I used to laugh at those people who wore tight spandex shorts, a weird jersey looking shirt…and looked like they were in complete agony slowly peddling up a hill. I would think, "HELL NO!" and then whiz right by them laughing. I've never been a mean driver per se, but…. I definitely wasn't thoughtful. It wasn't until I got on my bike, clipped into the peddles,  and started riding down that very narrow bike lane did I think...this is effing scary!! 


Move over you stupid cars! This lane is for me! 


I appreciate the "sport". I put it into quotations because there is some debate whether or not cycling is considered a sport. Whatever. I enjoy it. I used to laugh at people, but now I have more of an understanding. Maybe it was the burn, the camaraderie...the feeling of accomplishment after riding for miles and miles…but...Not all people have had this revelation. I have seen drivers pull closer to a cyclist, push them off the road, and have even heard stories of drivers getting out of their cars to assault a cyclist. I don't understand. All the drivers have to do is give us some space. There is enough room on the roads for all of us…as long as we make room. We're just trying to help the environment. Back off. 


A writer for the Seattle times wrote an article discussing the Cyclist Versus Driver warfare. Roads are for cars.The rules are too ambiguous. There are bike lanes in some places, but not all… so when is it okay to ride on the sidewalk? How many feet is the driver supposed to allow? Every City/State is different… but where are these rules posted? This is about safety people!! Road rage is one thing - when both drivers are in cars and you get the bird… but a driver is in a multi-ton vehicle and I am on my carbon fiber bike…wearing spandex!  


A clip from the show Porlandia (I'M AN OREGONIAN FOR LIFE- I am waiting for the Seattle spoof) depicts this anxiety ridden scenario in a hilariously perfect way: 








Whoever is bigger, yields. Cars yield to bikes, bikes yield to peds. Everyone gets where they're going.

I challenge you to share the road!!! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...