Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Vegetarian's Thanksgiving

The Thanksgiving holiday is just a few days away. Can you believe it? Noah and are hosting this year (more on that later) and I've been asked the question, "Will you be having a turkey?". The answer is yes. Just because I don't eat meat, doesn't mean meat isn't allowed.

NPR did a story on how vegetarians feel about the holiday, and I couldn't agree more:


"They don't feel like they're missing out. I spoke to Laura Anderson — she's the food and drinks editor at Slate, she's a vegetarian. She told me that, 'The essence of Thanksgiving is not in the turkey itself, it's in having ... a ton of dishes all together, way more food than you can eat, the promise of leftovers, a plate on which you have probably six or seven dishes all sharing room on the same plate.'"
Personally, I love gorging myself with a plate of stuffing, scalloped potatoes, veggies and cranberry sauce. Last year I made meat-free ribs.... but I felt it was a little unnecessary. Does there have to be a main dish?  I don't think so, but the NPR story introduced a vegetarian main dish: The Veggieducken. Looks a bit intimidating to me, but maybe I'll challenge myself with it next year.

If you are hosting this year and you know a vegetarian will be attending, I suggest following these simple rules of etiquette:

1) Don't assume your veggie friend will feel uncomfortable around the turkey centerpiece. We can handle it.
2) While it's always appreciated when meat eating friends want to make a "special" meatless dish, often it makes me uncomfortable.
3) And the most simple advice....Just ask them what they would prefer.

To read the full story, you can view it here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...