Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Disappointed Vegetarian

Valentine’s Day is just a fews week away, and time is of the essence if you want to get a nice table reserved.  Most places offer special menus, and while Noah and I were browsing through our options I began to feel a bit discouraged. Steak. Shrimp. Clams. Rack of Lamb. Meat, meat and more animal.
At the bottom of each menu… the outrageous flat-fee to match the lavish cuisine, and in small print:
NO SUBSTITUTIONS
Great. So I have to pay $60 for the atmosphere and a fennel salad? Has Valentine’s Day always been a meat-eaters holiday? Even the known-to-be-accommodating restaurants in Seattle aren’t offering vegetarian friendly options. What’s going on?!
What’s most frustrating is the ease it takes to accommodate a vegetarian diet. Offer a tofu dish. Take out the meat and add lentils or polenta. Make vegetarian lasagna for goodness sakes! From a smart business perspective - restaurants are losing business by excluding a whole population of eaters.
We ended up making reservations at a cute little tapas place we enjoy. Regardless of my (continued) frustrations of being a vegetarian, I am looking forward to spending Valentine’s Day with my birthday boy.
If you're curious as to why I am vegetarian... You can view that rant here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...