Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nostalgia


Refreshed. Rejuvenated. Connected. Inspired.

 These are my feelings after spending the past 4 days in Oregon. 


I drove down my parents' driveway and felt my eyes well up with tears, "I'm home". Emotions came over me as I saw the house that built me. My room isn't my room anymore, but the house smells the same. There's just something comforting about walking into the kitchen and the spoons are still in the same spot. However, I did get a little frustrated when I didn't know how to operate the new refrigerator. 

While I didn't want to have an itinerary, there were a few things that I did want to do while visiting home: eat at Kyllos, eat at Cafe' Mundo, Red Cock, sit on the coast.


Lunch at Kyllos


Walk the beach with Mom.




Before making my way North, I grabbed coffee and headed towards the sand. Again, I got emotional. The ocean means so much to me. It's the one thing that I could always depend on. The one constant. Throughout all the emotional drama a teenage girl can endure, the ocean was where I would run to. While sitting with my back on a piece of driftwood, I stared at the sea. I made a conscious effort to remain present. I did not want my mind to wander to thoughts of traffic, class, bills or how I forgot to change my voice message to 'out of office'. 

I don't know when I will be back to my hometown. I sat in the sand and allowed all my senses to work their magic. I was recording that moment in my mind. The smell of the salt, the grainy but soft feel of the sand, the sound of gulls squawking and the waves crashing, I watched the tide come in. I was even aware of my disappointment with the bitter taste of my coffee.  

After about an hour of meditation, I pulled myself away and said "see ya later" to the ocean. I began the trek up to Portland. I didn't get too far. For nostalgic purposes I had to make a pit-stop at WOU (old stomping ground). The campus has been altered, and the students walking the streets are unfamiliar. Why does everything have to change? I heard someone shout my name, and to my surprise it was an old friend. A familiar face!! 

Before committing to the drive to Portland, I make one last stop at the best place to induce a carbohydrate coma, my old work: Great Harvest. I've missed you Apple Crunch, Cranberry Almond Oatmeal, and Groovy Granola! 

To top off a fabulous mini-vacation,I have someone to celebrate! Happy Birthday Melinda!!!





My long-extended-long-overdue weekend was amazing and consisted of everything I needed. I am so grateful for my family, friends, the ocean, the tires that got me to where I needed to be, laughter, and even the tears. 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...